Here are some elements to include in your letter:
- State your purpose (what article you are responding to, what subject you are writing about).
- State your point: your opinion, perspective, idea, or argument.
- Give a few reasons or details for your point and explain them.
- Restate your point.
- Express gratitude.
Remember, to complete the requirement you must:
- Write a letter to the editor of a publication.
- Send the letter to the editor.
- Send a copy of the letter to me.
If you send a paper letter, please be sure to follow proper letter-writing etiquette (here is a guide for how to write a business letter). Please be sure to sign the letter, and make a copy of the letter to give to me.
If you send a letter by e-mail, you still need to include your street address; publications use this to verify that you are a real person. Please also put my e-mail address in the cc or bcc line so I will get a copy. My address is firstname.lastname@example.org.